English-Language Summer Program in Berlin
June 1-28, 2014
"Sites of Memory: How Berlin Remembers and Forgets Its Past"
- Taught in English by IU faculty; 3 IU credits in GER-E 371 (A&H)
- Live and learn in the heart of vibrant Berlin for four weeks
- No knowledge of German required
- Many excursions to significant sites (Sachsenhausen concentration camp; Berlin Wall; Reichtstag; Headquarters of the former East German spy agency; and more)
- For more information and to apply: http://go.iu.edu/8DI
- If you have questions, contact the instructor, Prof. Michel Chaouli
Here is what former students have to say about the program:
best three excursions were Sachsenhausen, the Reichstag, and the mosque.
These stood out to me as offering the most interesting and best-run tours.
They also all offered glimpses into a world much different than my own
(concentration camps, Soviet occupation of Berlin, and a different
— Kasey Greer
is not enough praise I can give Professor Chaouli. I have taken courses
before with him and that was the deciding factor for me to apply to this
— Blake Smith
Chaouli has a vast wealth of knowledge about Germany and Berlin. One thing I
really liked was his enthusiasm and encouragement for us students to go out
and get to know the city ourselves and if we need help or recommendations, he
was always ready with something to tell us."
— Larissa Cerbin