Friday, February 18, 2011

Alumni Profile: Katharine A. Ntiamoah

Katharine says:


Through connections I made through my participation in SPEA's Washington Leadership Program, I was able to intern at the State Department in 2007. That internship lead to another State Department internship at eh U.S. Embassy in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo in 2008 for a couple of months. After my two internships, I wanted to gain more experience in government affairs so I worked on some 2008 presidential campaigns, worked as an Americorps member for Habitat for Humanity and some other odds and ends. Eventually I wanted to expand my theoretical knowledge in International Studies so I applied to the State Department's Charles B. Rangel Graduate International Affairs Program where I was able to work on Capitol Hill's House Committee on Foreign Affairs in 2009 and  U.S. Embassy in Singapore in 2010. I also worked at the Livingston Group, a DC lobbying firm in 2010 as an intern working in International and Education lobbying. I am currently back in school at the University of Denver's Josef Korbel School of International Studies pursuing my masters degree in International Studies and graduate in June 2011. After graduation I will start work as a U.S. Diplomat (Foreign Service Officer).  My experiences were gained through persistence, reaching out to mentors, applying to as many positions as possible and of course what I learned at Indiana University's International Studies program.

No comments:

Post a Comment